-Ingredients (4 servings)-
- 5 tomatoes (1-1.5 lbs.) cored and quartered
3 medium yellow onions, peeled, quartered
5 large cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
2 – 3 cups light vegetable stock or water
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Coat the tomatoes, onions and garlic with olive oil on a baking sheet. Lightly salt the vegetables, then bake for about 45 minutes, until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions begin to brown and caramelize. Turn over the onions if they start getting overly dark on the bottom.
- Put all of the roasted vegetables into a large, high-sided bowl, and puree with a hand blender, or use a conventional blender or food processor and work in batches. Blend in a cup of vegetable stock/water. Keep adding vegetable stock/water 1/2 cup at a time until the soup is the desired consistency. Add paprika and salt, if needed, to taste.
* This recipe could also make a very nice pasta sauce when made with thicker consistency. I like this with spaghetti or fettuccini.